As a long-standing firm of Chartered Surveyors in South Devon, Hammond & Shaw specialise in conducting Building Surveys, HomeBuyer Surveys and Mortgage Valuations for all types of property across the area. Our directors have many years’ experience surveying residential property, with a reputation for quality, service and a professional approach that is second to none.
What is a Building Survey?
Formerly known as a Full Structural Survey, a Building Survey is an in-depth property investigation. The most comprehensive survey available for residential buildings, the report provides a detailed evaluation of the condition and construction of the property in question.
A Building Survey Report will give a description of the condition of each element of the property, identifying the building’s defects along with likely causes, recommendations for urgent repairs, maintenance issues and cost implications of repairs. It will contain:
- A detailed appraisal of the method and materials used in the construction
- A technical assessment of significant defects found, and advice on appropriate further actions
- Identification of less significant defects, general disrepair and shortcomings in physical condition, maintenance and design
- A photographic inventory of the property, defects and other issues
In contrast to the standard HomeBuyer Report, there is no set format for the Building Survey Report, meaning it can be modified to suit the type of building and the particular needs of each individual client.
Is a Building Survey right for my property?
Building Surveys can be carried out for all properties but they are particularly suitable for older, large or non-standard properties with complex surveying issues, such as:
- Properties over 50 years old
- Historic and Listed Buildings
- Buildings of any age that are constructed with non-standard methods or materials
- Properties that have been significantly altered or extended
- Buildings where major alterations or refurbishments are proposed
It is important to exercise great care when choosing the right surveyor for a Building Survey. In addition to many years’ experience and an excellent reputation in the field, Hammond & Shaw are regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Being regularly RICS monitored for quality and compliance, we can offer our clients complete reassurance of the quality of our services and reporting.
What is covered by a Building Survey?
A Building Survey comprises a detailed inspection of all visible and accessible parts of the property. This includes roofs and chimneys, walls and floors, windows and doors, cellars, garages and outbuildings.
Since our Chartered Surveyors have a legal responsibility to discover and inform you of any major problems found, they will be actively searching for building defects and potential problems including:
- Evidence of damp, conditions of existing damp proofing and isolation, drainage issues
- Evidence of subsidence, and the presence of large trees close to the building
- Damage to brickwork and roof
- Damage to timbers including woodworm, dry rot, wet rot
- Information regarding construction materials used and any technical information
- Structural issues including alterations to supporting walls
- Presence of asbestos and other hazardous materials
- Renovations undertaken without planning permission
Our team will check cupboards and manholes and inspect services, but will be unable to examine any enclosed or hidden parts of the building. Nor will we report on particular service aspects such as heating or electrical installations unless an expert investigation has been additionally requested.
How much does a Building Survey cost?
Due to the rigour with which these investigations are conducted, Building Surveys are the most costly type of home survey. The exact cost will depend on the type, size and price of the property in question, and can range anywhere in the region of £500 to £1,500.
For more information regarding Building Surveys or to discuss your particular property surveying needs with our expert team, please contact Hammond & Shaw today on 01626 335008 or email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
For more information on the RICS Homebuyer Service please download this guide.
Read our blog on the top three myths about property surveys.