If you are thinking of having a survey before making a final decision on a property, you may have considered a HomeBuyers report or Building Survey. But have you considered a SmartrSurvey? If you are unsure of which survey is best for you then here are some of the benefits.
What is SmartrSurvey?
SmartrSurvey is a photo-based level 2 survey, similar to a Home Buyer report.
- Level 1 – A Valuation – This is the most basic inspection, it will tell you the value of the property, however, wouldn’t highlight any issues unless they seriously affected the value.
- Level 2 – A HomeBuyer report or SmartrSurvey– This report gives you an in-depth look into the condition of the property and will flag up any issues that may need more attention. It gives you a good indication of the overall condition of all the main elements of the property.
- Level 3 – The Building Survey – This report gives you the same information as a level 2 but will go a little deeper into the finer details of construction and any issues. It is best used for an older property (150+ years) or one in poor repair.
What are the benefits of SmartrSurvey?
As more and more mortgage valuations are being completed online without anyone physically inspecting your property, SmartrSurvey offers you a chance to have a full physical inspection by a qualified Surveyor. You will also have direct contact with that surveyor and be able to talk through any issues with them both before, if you have any concerns or specific requirements, and afterwards, to go through the contents of the report.
Here are some highlights about the report;
- It is a photo-based report with images taken during the surveyor’s inspection which are used with text to explain any issues found.
- There is a simple and clear Green, Amber and Red ‘Traffic light’ rating system to identify any issues. Green being normal maintenance, Amber being an action required but not considered serious and Red being potentially serious or significant defects that require immediate attention or further investigation.
- The SmartrSurvey online portal gives you access to the report and allows you to sort issues using the traffic light rating, room by room or in a variety of other ways. This can help to simplify and understand what needs to be done and how urgent an issue might be.
- With the report being digital it can be downloaded to a smart phone, tablet or a computer/laptop and viewed anywhere. Any relevant sections could be separated and sent to a builder for a quote or to your legal advisor immediately after receiving the report. Alternatively, the whole report could also be emailed. You can also print off a hard copy if you would rather have something tangible to read through.
- This report will be suitable for the majority of properties but there are exceptions. It is not suitable for a property that is listed, was built before 1850 or any property of non-standard construction or that requires significant works to make them liveable. If you are unsure which type of survey is best our team are on hand to offer help and advice.
Why choose SmartrSurvey?
SmartrSurvey combines the expertise of a qualified and experienced surveyor with a simple jargon-free report that is easy to understand, share with your legal advisor and assist with making the decision whether or not to purchase.
Being a photo-based report means that you would see a photo of the issue, a short text box to explain what, if anything, is wrong and what to do about it.
The online portal is a real plus. It is highly interactive and can help you navigate the report with ease, view and share sections with builders, plumbers, electricians or legal advisors.
Due to the simplified delivery of the report you will receive it sooner than a traditional HomeBuyers report or Building Survey. This may be useful if you are part of a chain or simply can’t wait to know if your dream home could become a reality.
Here’s a link to the Legal and General SmartrSurvey page which gives you a little more detail about the product and if you scroll down a little there is a short video showing different parts of the report and how it can be broken down. (Don’t panic, there’s no sound).
Ultimately, choosing which report will depend on the suitability of the property, how you would like to receive the information, your timeframe and personal circumstances. If you need any advice on SmartrSurvey, a Homebuyer Report, Building Survey or have any queries about any of the products we offer then please give us a call and we can find the best product for you. Alternatively, you are able to book a SmartrSurvey online through the above link!